Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jesus Storybook Bible


Currently, my favorite book is The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally-Lloyd Jones. My mom bought it for my kids, but I help myself to it regularly. Its the best children's Bible I have ever read. Most children's Bibles contain disconnected stories from the Bible, highlighting the characters of each story, along with the "lesson" to be learned.

The Jesus Storybook Bible approaches these stories a little more holistically. The book connects each story to the Christian meta-narrative: God made a people for himself; his people destroyed that relationship and consequently all these became broken; God is relentless in his pursuit of these people, and because of his great love for his people; God provides a way to restore that relationship through the life, death and resurrection of his son Jesus Christ; one day all things will be righted, all brokenness, pain and sickness will be healed and God's people will live with him in peace. Each story reveals the main character to be Jesus. Underneath the title it reads, "Every story whispers his name."

Sally Lloyd-Jones writes the most artistic and poignant versions of the stories I have heard from the womb, stories that I could tell in my sleep with absolutely no emotional connection. But, reading them from this book, I am surprised by hope each time. My children become curious when I am weeping reading to them. They want to know what it is that has touched me so deeply. I have never been so moved by the story of Adam and Eve.

In my opinion, this book deserves the Caldecott Award. The illustrations are phenomenal. An interview with Jago, the illustrator, about the book can be read here.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited because Lily just got this very Bible in the mail yesterday from her Granddad! We haven't read it yet but now I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, we love it here too. but when i read it to the kids i ALWAYS have a crisis of faith. she says everything so clearly and simply that i am like, um, wait, do i believe that???? so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review darling. you are just a damn good writer and thats that! and oh, i agree that the little bible is great and makes me cry too.

    ReplyDelete